Friday, June 20, 2008

Praise Be to God - An Answered Prayer

It's about 3 am and I find myself unable to sleep- perhaps it's because I have a lot on my mind, perhaps it's because I haven't been able to exercise in the past week and feeling the ramifications of it, or perhaps it's to give God the glory for what He has so gracious done in the past week. I suspect it is much to do with the latter.

To make a very long story short, about a month ago, Keao had another appointment with her allergist; seeing that her skin wasn't getting any better, she prescribed a step down treatment of 2 weeks with DermaSoft, 2 weeks of a topical cream (Elocon), and another 2 weeks of another cream - it was either that or take an oral steroid.

The first medication did not work - matter-of-fact, she reacted to it. I felt discouraged and pessimistic that the other creams wouldn't work. A week later, her doctor called to check up on her and decided to start the 2nd treatment after only a week. The first morning I noticed a change in the integrity of her skin - a good change. However, I've learned not to get my hopes up too prematurely and decided to wait for an allergic reaction; I continued to apply it nonetheless. By the 3rd day, her skin was close to being perfect - it was soft, not peeling off as previous, and, apart from the scars of her November incident, her skin looked perfect.

Well, it's been a week and I stopped giving her the cream about 3 days ago; she's still doing well. She is no longer constantly itching; we stopped swaddling her but need to keep her braces on just as a precaution. She's actually been able to wear shorts - which is an added blessing since the weather has been in the upper 90's this week.

I'm convinced that the reason for my lack of sleepiness is to give God the praise; no words can describe the joy, gratitude, humility that I feel, as I see, not only my daughter's skin healing, but her continuance and attitude convey of complete happiness (and shall I say, relief). I am grateful that God has allowed us to go thru this trial and taken us out of it as it has taught me to continually be at His throne pleading for my daughter. Not only that, but it has taught me humility as I know I don't deserve anything but the holy judgement of God. Yet He spared not His only Son, but gave Him to die on my behalf and bring me to a reconciliation to God, my Father. As I hear about my other friend's children suffering from medical conditions, I can't help think that it could have been worse and yet, God graciously spare Keao from all that. He gave us only what we were and are able to handle (1 Corinthian 10:13).

But our constant pleading for our daughter does not stop here for there is a more urgent plea that needs to be made - a plea for her salvation. A plea for the severe condition of her heart that currently has enmity with God - a heart made of stone. May God save her and save her young so that she may use more of her years here on this earth to serve her King and Savior.

1 comment:

jne said...

Praise God for His kindness! How gently God pushes us to our knees thru our children. I can attest to this because just tonight Ellee had a high fever that seemed to persist late into the night. It's just now I checked on her 1:51am and praise God her fever is gone. As I was already down on my knees I couldn't neglect that this too is God's mercy. I echo your praises sister! Miss you.