Sunday, January 13, 2013

Instead of Resolutions, Why Not a Bucket Instead

Let me start by saying, "Happy New Year" or in Hawaii, we say "Hau’oli Makahiki Hou" (pronounced how-oh-lay ma-ka-hee-key ho).

Recently a sister (Vangie) and I were talking about what we want to accomplish in 2013, resolutions we wanted to make.  Vangie, who is very creative, came up with an idea of having a bucket list for 2013: a list of 14 things (14 to signify the anticipated 2014 year).  After much thought and survey from friends, here is my 2013 Bucket List:

1.  Swim with Dolphins:  this one, my hubby's not to happy with it because he's not very fond of animals bigger than him and to swim with them... but this has got to be one of my life-long hope-to-dos.  What's really interesting is that we have a brother on the Leeward side of the island who ministers thru SUP (Stand Up Paddle); whenever he gets a free day, he sets up his multiple boards and let's people enjoy them charge-free. He saw my list and said that he can help me with this as he has swam with wild dolphins while paddling out. 



2.  Hike up Koko Head:  Can you believe, been here for 3 years and I've yet to do a hike...Well, recently I've been wanting to go hiking and I thought to put this on my list.  Koko head is a steep climb on old railroad tracks.  Located in beautiful Hawaii Kai area, the view must be amazing up on top.  




3.  Run a race:  I'm not a runner, nor do I even pretend to be but I thought to myself...why not?  I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world, not to mention the most fit and active place according to one survey.  Oh and did I mention, I've already signed up for the Great Aloha Run on Feb. 18th! Time to buy me some running shoes!!





4.  Take up sewing and sew me a top/dress:  My parents bought me a sewing machine years ago and I've only had the pleasure of using it a couple of times.  And since we've move to Hawaii, I've not had the time to even unpack it from it's moving box.  Fortunately my husband found it among our multitudes of yet-to-be-unpacked boxes.  I can easy look up sewing tutorials on youtube or what-not, but a dear sister has graciously offered to teach me and my daughter.   




5.  Take up surfing again:  my board has not touch a wave, so much as even a water drop.  Time to hang 10!  


6.  Memorize Psalms 119 - this chapter is one of my favorites in Psalms but also has the most verses - 176 to be exact.  I've never attempted to memorize a whole chapter; this will be my first.  Looking forward to this particular endeavor.





7.  Start playing the flute again:  I started playing the flute in 4th grade, but ever since I got married (14 years ago) I haven't played it since.  Matter-of-fact, I thought I had lost my flute with all the moving we've done.  Recently my mom mentioned that they had my flute safety kept in their house.  Yay!  My flute and I are finally reunited!





8.  Cameo on Hawaii 50/ Last Resort:  had the pleasure of being in 2 episodes on Hawaii 50 - hopefully I can get on more :)





9.  Learn Japanese:  Living in Hawaii, not to mention working at an airline, I'm exposed to many cultures and tourism from Japan is year-round.  Just trying to find an inexpensive way to learn the language.



10.  Visit a Foreign Country:  Working at an airline I have great flying benefits; last year we were able to visit Australia.  This year, skies the limit (pun intended).


11.   Run Palahia St non-stop:  If you've ever visited us, you know this street is long and hilly.  My husband has tackled this street and can run it non-stop twice over.  As I mentioned, I 'm not a runner but inspired to join my husband in his daily run.



12.  Visit a waterfall in Oahu:  Pretty sad and true, I've not visited any waterfalls since we moved her almost 3 years ago.  

13.  Take a flight on Hawaiian's first plane named Bellanca:  Date is set, Saturday Jan 26th we're taking a trip around the island on Hawaiian's first plane.  Not too thrilled with this one as the plane is only a single-engine plane but a great opportunity to see our island.


14.  Top-Secret Project (will reveal if accomplished)



My intent is to document my checklist - can't wait to share with you my adventures :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! Good list...now when are you going to help me with mine?? ;)

jenny harris said...

Hey I'll help you with #2 when we come and visit. That sounds very fun [and tiring]! :)

Bessiedavid said...

@Jenny - with my broken foot, it'll take that long before I can even do the hike... Yay - it's a hiking date!